The story behind Rue Anne-Barbel

62018_barbel house.jpg
Photo: Google Maps

The former residence and store of Marie-Anne Barbel, located in Place Royale, was beautifully restored in 2009 to reflect the original French architecture of the area.

This street is named in honour of a remarkable Quebec City-born businesswoman, Marie-Anne Barbel (1704-1793). She ran several successful businesses after her husband, Louis Fornel, died in 1745. The couple had 14 children of whom only five, four girls and one boy, survived to adulthood.