The story behind Rue de l’Aigle-d’Or

De_lAigle-dOr_ship.jpg
Photo: Source: Library and Archives Canada/Lawrence R. Batchelor collection/c011924k

This painting, The arrival of boats from France, 1660, by Lawrence R. Batchelor (about 1931), depicts colonists welcoming new immigrants to Quebec City. L’Aigle D’Or brought several boatloads of French colonists and soldiers to the port of Quebec.

This street in the Duberger-Les Saules district of Quebec City was named after the Aigle d’Or (golden eagle), a French ship that arrived in this city on Aug. 18, 1665, with the Carignan-Salières regiment, consisting of four companies of more than 200 men. They were under the command of the Marquis de Salières.