The story behind Rue Richard-Burke | Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph Online

The story behind Rue Richard-Burke

Richard.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox

Rue Richard-Burke is a narrow, one-block long, one-way street located in the Saint-Roch district of the Cité-Limoilou. It runs south from Rue Saint-Vallier Est to Rue Christophe Colomb Est. Originally named Rue Turgeon, it was renamed in honour of Richard Burke in 2006 following municipal mergers.

Rue Richard-Burke is named in honour of Richard Burke, who was born in New Ross, Wexford County, Ireland, in about 1834. In 1853 he was working as a stevedore at the Port of Quebec. In 1855, with other Irishmen he founded the Quebec Ship Labourers’ Benevolent Society to provide financial aid to workmen who had been injured at the Port of Quebec.