June 18 2014 Edition | Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph Online

June 18 2014 Edition

Ville de Québec & Commission de la capitale nationale honour the QCT

front1.jpg
Photo: Bethann G. Merkle
The scene – a convivial sun-soaked ceremony on the corner of rue Buade and rue de Trésor, albeit a very noisy corner. 

Making history together: 250 years of chronicling our community

PG48_teaser.jpg
Photo: QCT special edition

In this so-called digital age, publishing 250 years of English-language news in a predominantly French-speaking city is a significant collective achievement.

• Since 1925, the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph has been the only English-language newspaper published in the predominantly French-speaking Quebec City region.

Anniversary Letters to the Editor

The U.S. Consulate General in Quebec City celebrates the QCT

250 years in print and still standing tall in the present

Paving the road of local history

With words and stories

Memorials and Things of Fame for June 18, 2014

1864

The Morning Chronicle

USS Oak Hill hosts early Fourth of July reception

Dressed to the nines despite the pouring rain, guests of the U.S. Consul General Hale Van Koughnett flocked to an early Fourth of July reception last Thursday evening. Van Koughnett welcomed a hearty contingent of U.S. expats, along with local dignitaries such as Cardinal Gerald Lacroix and François Moreau, President of the Rendez-vous naval de Québec, on board the USS Oak Hill (LSD 51).

HMS Jeffy Jan II was a witness to two wartime conferences in Quebec City

HMS Jeffy2.jpg
Photo: Shirley Nadeau

Rendez-vous naval de Québec takes the city by land, sea and air

tugboat_theodore.jpg
Photo: Shirley Nadeau

The weather could have been better on Friday and Saturday. Lined up at Quay 22 in the Port of Quebec were the U.S. Navy ship, USS Oak Hill, the Royal Canadian Navy destroyer, HMCS Athabaskan, the French Navy ship, Laplace, a Canadian Coast Guard patrol vessel, CCGCS Caporal Kaeble, the Jeffy Jan II (see separate article) and Theodore Too, the little tugboat from Halifax.

Street views: The story behind the name of Rue de la Terrasse-Stuart

streetview2.jpg
Photo: Wikipedia Commons
Rue de la Terrasse-Stuart is a short street near Avenue Maguire in Sillery, and is named for George Okill Stuart, Jr., lawyer, politician and judge. Born in Toronto, he was the son of the Reverend George Okill Stuart, an Anglican priest, and Lucy Brooks. 
 
Stuart became the first English-speaking mayor of Quebec City.

Rain men splash through 29th Tour de Beauce

rain men.jpg
Photo: Bethann G. Merkle

Over the course of 3 hours and 25 minutes, some 140 cyclists zipped through nine soaking circuits in Quebec City, racking up a total of 130.5 soggy kilometres. All afternoon, rain fell unabated as the peloton rolled along Grand Allée, through the Plains of Abraham, down Côte de Sillery, along Boulevard Champlain, up Côte de la Montagne and through Vieux-Québec.

Tales of Grosse Île in the early days

grosse Lle.jpg
Photo: Cassandra Kerwin

At the June 10 meeting of Irish Heritage Quebec, four speakers described Grosse Île as it was before it was named a National Historic Site in 1974 and the Irish Memorial in 1989. As a boy, William Mylett visited the island with his father, an officer in the Department of National Defence. Patrick McKenna went there in the 1960s in hopes of finding family records.

Syndicate content