The Dobell-Sewell Society Wedding of 1895

FROM THE ARCHIVES

12920_archives sewell.jpeg
Photo: Shirley Nadeau

Maison Sewell, situated at 87 Rue Saint-Louis in Old Quebec, was built in 1803-04 for Judge Jonathan Sewell (1766-1839), the chief justice of Lower Canada from 1808 to 1838. The house later served as a residence for officers of the Quebec Garrison, stationed at the Citadelle. It now houses officers of the Canadian Armed Forces stationed in Quebec City. It was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1969.

In 1895, the wedding between “William Molson Dobell, son of R.R. Dobell, Esq. … and Constance May Sewell, the charmingly pretty and highly popular daughter of Dr. Colin Sewell” made headlines in the Quebec Morning Chronicle of Dec. 9, 1895 as “A Brilliant Society Event.”