OBITUARY: Edith Veronica MacKAY

TourismQuebecCity.jpg

Edith Veronica MacKAY
1927-2021

It is with heavy hearts that we, the family of Edith MacKay, announce her passing on February 10, 2021. Her children, Anthony, James, Hayes, Theresa, Patrick and Donald, join with spouses, children, grandchildren, the entire extended family and dear friends in loving gratitude to acknowledge a gracious and generous mother.
Edith was born in Fredericton, N.B., on May 31, 1927 to Edith Loretta Bridget Hayes (McGivney), RN, and Francis Leo Hayes, Town Marshal and dairy farmer of St. Anthony’s Parish. She lived in their busy home with four sisters in the tight-knit community of Devon until she met her life’s love, Charles Stuart MacKay, a UNB student. They soon married and returned to Stuart’s hometown of Quebec City where they raised six children and were active in the community. Edith kept close ties with her maritime roots while being welcomed as a daughter into the gregarious MacKay and Gagnon families. She bonded with a network of close friends, was active in the CWL, and, along with Stuart, was dedicated to building St. Stephen’s Chapel.
Mum’s heart and home were always open. Her house was a place of parties, family gatherings, quiet teas and a parade of her children’s friends. Her later years were not kind to her joints, but she kept an active mind along with a practical and prayerful outlook. Our brother James was the dedicated stay-at-home caregiver, and special thanks are due to Pamela Reed for her daily help and companionship. Our brother Hayes had just given Mum a soothing foot bath when she extended her hand to him, said, “It feels like heaven,” laid her head back and peacefully passed on.
Owing to the current pandemic, arrangements for a reception and funeral are delayed until later this year when travel and gatherings should be easier. A book of condolences is at lepinecloutier.com. We thank those who have already sent their condolences. Donations in honour of Edith MacKay may be made to your charity of choice or to the Jeffery Hale – Saint Brigid’s Friends’ Foundation.