MEMORIALS AND THINGS OF FAME

Researched and compiled by Lorie Pierce, [email protected]

42121_memorials building.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain

Erected between 1808 and 1813, this building served as Quebec City’s common gaol from 1812 to 1867. After the old prison was renovated, Morrin College, founded in 1862 as Quebec City’s first English-language institute of higher education, moved into the building and remained there from 1868 until 1902. The library of the Literary and Historical Society, which moved into the building along with the school in 1868, is active to this day. This photo was taken in 2012. (Source: morrin.org/en/a-short-history)

April 20, 1871 – The Morning Chronicle