The story behind behind Dufferin Terrace

92519_street dufferin2.jpg
Photo: Shirley Nadeau

Lord Dufferin’s final public appearance as governor general was in 1878 when he laid the foundation stone for the extension of the terrace overlooking the St. Lawrence River. This terrace was built to Dufferin’s own design and is arguably his best-known legacy in Canada. The terrace is now maintained by Parks Canada as part of the Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site.

Dufferin Terrace is named in honour of Frederick Temple Blackwood (1826-1902), who was born in Florence, Italy, into an aristocratic Anglo-Irish family. The first Marquess of Dufferin and Ava, more commonly known as Lord Dufferin, was governor general of Canada from 1872 to 1878.