The story behind Rue Flynn

street1.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox

Rue Flynn is a short residential street between 6e and 8e Avenues in the Limoilou district of Quebec City. 

Rue Flynn was named in honour of Edmund James Flynn (1847-1927). Born in Percé, of Irish and British descent, he would become a lawyer, professor, politician and judge.

Flynn studied at the Séminaire de Québec from 1860 to 1865 and at Université Laval from 1871 to 1873. He was admitted to the Bar in 1873. He received a doctoral degree in law in 1878 and practised law briefly in Gaspé. After returning to Quebec City, the young man taught a course in Roman law at Université Laval from 1874 to 1927.

Flynn was a member of the board of Université Laval from 1891 to 1927 and Dean of the Faculty of Law from 1915 to 1921. He was also a member of the university's board of governors from 1915 to 1927 and, after retirement, held the status of professor emeritus.

He was elected a Liberal member of the National Assembly in 1876, and a year later he became a Conservative member representing the Gaspé, then Nicolet. Flynn was a minister in several governments. He was commissioner of Crown Lands under premier Louis-Olivier Taillon, whom he succeeded as acting premier in 1896. Flynn was the province's tenth premier, from May 1896 to May 1897. 

Defeated in the general elections of 1897, Flynn retired from politics in 1904 and was the bâtonnier (president) of the  Quebec Bar (1907-1909), judge of the Superior Court for the district of Beauce in 1914, and in 1920 was a judge of the Court of King's Bench.

Flynn lived for many years on Rue Hamel in Old Quebec. He died on June 7, 1927, at the age of 79, and was buried in Notre-Dame-de-Belmont cemetery in Sainte-Foy.