The story behind Rue Lambert-Closse

STREET VIEWS

71520_street sculpture.jpg
Photo: Jean Gagnon from Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain

This sculpture by Louis-Philippe Hébert depicts Raphaël-Lambert Closse with his faithful dog Pilotte. It is located at the base of a larger monument to Governor Maisonneuve at Place d’Armes in Montreal.

This street honours Raphaël-Lambert Closse (circa 1618-1662), who was born in Saint-Denis de Mogues, France. He was a merchant when he arrived in Ville-Marie (now called Montreal) in 1647.