Street Views

The story behind Place des Canotiers

STREET VIEWS

2619_canotiers ice canoe.jpg
Photo: Cassandra Kerwin from QCT archives

The name Place des Canotiers was chosen following a public competition held by the Ville de Québec in 2015 to name a public park on Rue Dalhousie at the foot of Côte de la Montagne.

The story behind Rue du Campanile

STREET VIEWS

13019_street campanile.jpg
Photo: Screenshot from Google Maps

Rue du Campanile is a private street that takes its name from the tall brick clock tower on a corner of the Faubourg Laudance business centre. The street has three restaurants, a bank, drugstore, grocery store, liquor outlet and several other commercial tenants.

The story behind Avenue Calixa-Lavallée

STREET VIEWS

12319_street view.jpg
Photo: Screenshot from Google Maps

This street was named after Calixa Lavallée (1842-1891), best known for composing the music for “O Canada,” which officially became the national anthem of Canada in 1980.

The story behind Carré Cameron

11619_street man.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain

Carré Cameron is not actually a square but a U-shaped street named in honour of British explorer Verney Lovett Cameron (1844-1894).

Born in Radipole, in Dorset, England, Cameron joined the Royal Navy in 1857, served in the Abyssinian campaign of 1868, and worked for a considerable time on the suppression of the East African slave trade.

Rue du Capitaine-Bernier

1919_street man.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain
Rue du Capitaine-Bernier is named in honour of Captain Joseph-Elzéar Bernier (1852-1934), who was born in the village of L’Islet-sur-Mer, 100 km north-east of Quebec City. His father and grandfather were mariners, and he himself became a mariner and explorer of the Canadian North.

Street Views - Rue du Cap-Diamant

121218_street1.jpg
Photo: Martin St-Amant - Wikipedia - CC-BY-SA-3.0

Rue du Cap-Diamant is a short street located on industrial land owned by the Quebec Port Authority off Boulevard Champlain below the Plains of Abraham.

Cap Diamant (or Cape Diamond) itself is the promontory on which the Upper Town of Quebec City is located, surrounded by the St. Lawrence River to the south and east and the much smaller St. Charles River to the north.

The story behind Rue Christie

12518_christie man.jpg
Photo: Ville de Montréal archives
This street is named in honour of Robert Christie (1787-1856), a lawyer, militia officer, historian and politician, who was born in Windsor, N.S., to parents who had emigrated from Scotland. Christie studied at King’s College and obtained his diploma sometime before 1803. 

The story behind Rue Braille

112118_braille man.jpg
Rue Braille was named in honour of Louis Braille, who invented a system of reading and writing for use by the blind or visually impaired. The system he devised remains virtually unchanged to this day, and is known worldwide simply as braille. 

The story behind Rue Bethune

11718_street man.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain
This street is named in honour of Dr. Norman Bethune (1890-1939), who was born in Gravenhurst, Ont.
 
In 1914, when the First World War was declared in Europe, Bethune interrupted his medical studies and joined the Canadian Army’s No. 2 Field Ambulance to serve as a stretcher bearer in France.

The story behind Rue de Bergerville

103118_street bergerville.jpg
Photo: Google Maps

Rue de Bergerville and Parc Bergerville recall the village of Bergerville, created around 1850 in the sector north of the Woodfield Domain that was once part of the Saint-Michel estate in Sillery.

Syndicate content